Lewis and Clark Conservation District, 790 Colleen Street, Helena MT 59601  406-449-5000 ext. 5

Permit Application Forms, Complaint and Emergency Forms


Instructions – PDF Format (It is highly recommended that all applicants read this file!)

Application – Word Format

Application – PDF Fillable Format

Complaint Form

Emergency Notice

Fillable form-Emergency Notice–this one can be downloaded and filled in electronically.

Rules for Permitting

310 Rules 2019

The Board of Supervisors met in November 2019 to revise their rules for permitting to update them as required by a law change at the 2019 State Legislative Session.

Photo By- Ashley Rivero
Photo By- Ashley Rivero

Complaints about Projects that are on-going

310 Complaint form

Quite often people in the community notice work being done on a stream and they aren’t sure if there is a permit issued or not.  Please call the District Office at 449-5000 ext. 5 to find out. 

If you wish to file a complaint, you may have us mail or email the form or you may download the form and return it to us. 

Please remember that under State Law, all of the Conservation District’s files are open to the public except for any in an ongoing legal dispute.  Please be aware of this when submitting complaints.

The location of potential unpermitted activity and the name of the person doing the work is particularly helpful, as is any contact information.  If all you see is a contractor name on the side of a truck or excavator, even that is very helpful. 

Submitting photos along with complaints is always helpful.

Keep in mind that other permitting agencies may need to be notified of complaints as well.

Emergency Actions

Emergency Form- PDF

Emergency Form-Word Format

Emergencies often occur during spring run-off, or other flooding events, as well as during extended drought.  Under the 310 law, a landowner may conduct the work that needs to be done to safeguard life, property or crops.  Within 15 days of conducting that work, the landowner needs to fill out and submit to the District, an Emergency Notice.  The District Office can mail or email the form, or you may download it and return it to the District.  Submitting photos with emergency notices is always helpful.

Please keep in mind that if the District finds that work done was NOT an emergency it may be considered a violation under state law.  Even if work done was a true emergency, additional work may be required to further remedy the problem and it may be necessary for the landowner to obtain a 310 Permit to conduct that work.

Also keep in mind that other permitting agencies may need to be notified about Emergency Actions taken.